Building Bridges, Creating Community
Weeklong Celebration to Focus on “Building Bridges, Creating Community”
Unveiling of Wall of Peace, presentation by Chicano poet among activities
Understanding cultural similarities and differences is essential for effective communication while serving as global citizens. In honor of Diversity Month and United Nations Day, the Hilbert College Office of Multicultural Affairs will hold a week of celebratory activities focused on cultural awareness from October 8 – 11.
The weeklong celebration will provide Hilbert faculty, staff and students an opportunity to interact with one another outside the classroom and to learn more about other cultures and diversity. Programming will also provide students with a deepened understanding of social justice and human interactions and help to inspire personal and professional growth. Hilbert’s Cultural Awareness Week is planned by various college constituencies to provide a holistic representation of programs and to strengthen diversity, community and inclusion on campus.
- To expose students to diverse perspectives and promote advocacy for social justice among students.
- To promote and encourage awareness of diversity throughout the community by offering a wide range of programs, services and activities.
- Students will become interculturally aware and acquire an openness to diversity (based on liberal learning outcomes).
- Students will learn the importance of respecting cultural differences and similarities.
- Students will discover a sense of community and become more integrated into the Hilbert campus through the celebration of culture.